A baby book-gifting initiative, delivered across 14 areas in Limerick City and County.
If you live in Limerick, and your baby has received Bookseed books, we would really like to know what YOU think. Please fill out this short 5-minute form and tell us how you found the project. Thank you!
Bookseed is a baby book-gifting initiative, funded by the JP McManus Benevolent Fund and the Social Innovation Fund Ireland, delivered across 14 areas in Limerick City and County. Children’s Books Ireland run this project in partnership with the Health Service Executive and Limerick City and County Library Service, and it will be evaluated by a team from Mary Immaculate College, Limerick.
Bookseed gives the gift of a book three times in a baby’s first year of life. Bookseed is all about families enjoying books together, starting children on a lifelong journey with reading. Children who have been read to and who read for pleasure are more likely to do well at school, to have a wider vocabulary and to have higher levels of mental wellbeing. Parents, guardians or carers are encouraged and supported to share books with their child from a very early stage and to foster in them a lifelong love of reading. The project will ensure families are made aware of the cultural, emotional and social benefits gained by reading books and sharing stories with children.
The Bookseed project will be taking place in the following areas:
Wave 1 health centres – babies born between January 2019 and December 2020
- Barrack View
- Newcastle West
Wave 2 health centres – babies born between June 2019 and May 2021
- Ballylanders (June 19 – Dec 19 only)
- Hospital (June 19 – Dec 19 only)
Information for Parents – Here’s how Bookseed works
- Pick up your Bookseed pack, including a wordless picturebook, at your baby’s three- month developmental check at the health centre.
- Pick up your second Bookseed book at your baby’s seven-to-nine-month developmental check at the health centre. There will also be a flyer about joining the library – give them a ring to find out when your local library holds storytime sessions for babies
- Pick up your third Bookseed book at your local library when your baby is a year old. You can do this any time
Participating libraries are:
- Abbeyfeale Library – 068 32488
- Adare Library – 061 396 822
- Dooradoyle Library – 061 556 860
- Killmallock Library – 061 556 160
- Granary Library – 061 557 510
- Newcastle West Library – 069 622 73
- Rathkeale Library – Tel: 069 645 05
You can download the Bookseed Booklet here, it’s filled with recommended reads and advice about reading to your baby