#ProperBook 2021: Is It Me You’re Looking For?
June 24 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm€22.20
How to Write a Cracking Children’s Book and Attract a Publisher or Agent
Have you ever thought about writing for children but don’t know where to start? This webinar, part of the #ProperBook 2021 series of practical events and workshops for new and emerging children’s writers, is for you!
Discover what agents and publishers are looking for when it comes to children’s books, the recommended word count for a picturebook, how long a middle grade novel should ideally be, and hear from a wide range of book industry experts on all aspects of writing and publishing for children. Plus hear an award-winning children’s writer and illustrator talk about how they got published and give tips for new writers and illustrators. Come with questions and leave with answers!
- 5.50pm: Join Our Webinar
- 6.00pm: Welcome by Aoife Murray, Programme and Events Manager, Children’s Books Ireland
- 6.05pm–6.25pm: ‘A Whistle Stop Tour of The World of Children’s Books: From Picturebooks to YA (Young Adult)’ by Lorraine Levis, author and Key Account Executive for Penguin Random House Children’s Books
- 6.25pm–7.15pm: Panel – ‘What Are Children Reading? Trends and Perennial Favourites in Children’s Books’, chaired by children’s writer and event programmer Sarah Webb with speakers Charlotte Eyre, Children’s Editor for The Bookseller magazine, Lorraine Levis, and Trish Hennessy, Owner of Halfway Up the Stairs Children’s Bookshop
- 5 minute break
- 7.20pm–7.40pm: ‘How a Book is Created from Start to Finish’ – writer Swapna Haddow and illustrator Sheena Dempsey will talk about their new book Bad Panda and its journey to publication, from idea to finished book. Chaired by award-winning children’s writer Patricia Forde
- 7.40pm–8.30pm: Panel – ‘What are Publishers and Agents Looking For?’: Aoife Murray from Children’s Books Ireland talks about the world of agents and publishing with some experts from the children’s book business: Polly Nolan of PaperCuts Literary Agency & Consultancy Ltd, Catherine Gough from HarperCollins, and Eoin O’Brien, The O’Brien Press
This event is programmed by WonderFest programmer Sarah Webb, and presented by Children’s Books Ireland and WonderFest, the Online Children’s Book Festival.
For further details and booking, follow the Eventbrite link below.