100 LGBTQIA+ Reads: Discover our Pride Reading Guide with An Post
Children’s Books Ireland is delighted to launch their Pride Reading Guide with An Post. Containing 100 books featuring LGBTQIA+ inclusive stories, this guide offers a hundred ways to encourage solidarity, allyship and confidence in children and young people – during Pride and beyond.
The launch of the guide was accompanied by a Pride Book Clinic at the Pride Village in Merrion Square, Dublin on Saturday 25th June. At the Book Clinic, young readers meet with a children's book expert, the 'Book Doctor', and come away with a prescription for their next great read, which they can take to their local library or bookshop.
About the guide
- 100 books celebrating LGBTQIA+ stories for readers aged 0–18
- Titles include favourites such as Elmer and Heartstopper, alongside newcomers Our Big Day, Grandad’s Camper and The Henna Wars
- Books from Irish authors and illustrators are denoted with a shamrock symbol throughout
- Formats include picturebooks, fiction, non-fiction and graphic novels
Elaina Ryan, CEO of Children’s Books Ireland, said:
'Positive representation on the page is so important: it is crucial that every member of the LGBTQIA+ community can feel seen and heard in the stories we tell. And it is clear that there is still much work to do to build empathy, understanding and allyship from an early age. Happily, the list of excellent books has grown since last year, and we hope it will continue to grow year after year.’
Where can I find the Pride Reading Guide?
- All major county libraries nationwide
- 27 bookshops nationwide, including Dubray Books, O'Mahony's Limerick and The Gutter Bookshop.
- The Pride Hub, Duke St Dublin 2
- The An Post stand at the Pride Village in Merrion Square, Saturday 25th June