So you want to be a Book Doctor?
Have you ever finished a series that you loved and not known what to read next? Do you love movies and video games but find reading a bit of a chore?
These are the kinds of questions the Children’s Books Ireland Book Doctors ask their patients at our CBI Book Clinics, where we meet lots of young people and their families and help to guide each child towards the right book for them.
About the Children’s Books Ireland Book Clinic
Since 2012, Children’s Books Ireland has been touring CBI Book Clinics all over the island of Ireland, bringing reading prescriptions to young readers from babies to teenagers. From Listowel to Howth and from Limerick to Belfast, the Book Doctors have met six-year-olds who have brought their best-loved books to show us, twelve-year-olds who have exhausted their local library’s supplies, teenagers looking for the latest book to share with their friends and parents seeking inspiration for new picturebooks to read with their little ones. The clinic is a free-of-charge, drop-in facility for all families, where children can consult with the Book Doctor and walk away with their very own personalised reading prescription.
About the Role
We are now looking to expand our team. If you have a passion for imparting a love of books, love visiting new places and meeting new people and have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the best, most engaging books published for babies, young adults and everyone in between, we want to hear from you. Our dedicated Book Doctor and administrator teams travel to Book Clinics all over the island of Ireland and beyond. Being a member of the Children’s Books Ireland Book Clinic team means hard but rewarding work. Each clinic lasts four hours with each consultation with an individual child lasting fifteen minutes.
Book Doctors are paid from €250 per 4 hour clinic and administrators €150. Please note that over the course of the recruitment process those who aren’t initially selected as doctors may be asked to join the Book Clinic team as administrators. On occasion, after a period, an administrator may be ‘promoted’ to Book Doctor.
- a deep knowledge of books available for all ages, abilities and interests for children and young adults both current and ‘classic’
- approachable – the ability to engage with and elicit information from all children and their parents and guardians
- availability at the weekend and occasionally mid-week
- a flexible approach to the nature of the work
- an ability to work effectively as part of a small, creative and dynamic team
- Proficiency in the Irish language and deep knowledge of the Irish language children’s publishing scene
- A full clean Irish driving licence and use of a car
- Based in a regional location (i.e. living outside of Dublin) and/or available to travel widely
Email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com, with ‘Book Clinic Recruitment’ in the subject line, before 5pm on Sunday 31st July 2022.
Children’s Books Ireland is an equal opportunities employer.