Inis magazine: issue 60, July 2020
Inis is the magazine of Children's Books Ireland. Within these pages you will find features and articles on Irish and international children's books as well as in-depth reviews of new titles for children and teenagers. With its range of expert contributors, this is a key resource for teachers, writers, illustrators, librarians, parents/guardians and everyone interested in children's books.
"Extraordinary, unprecedented, challenging … Our work is deeply rooted in words and yet it is difficult to find the right ones to describe the months since the last issue of Inis was published. You will be reading this on a screen – Inis 60 is our first ever digital-only issue, a decision that was made in order to help us plan with certainty how we could safely deliver it to our members when so much uncertainty prevailed."
In this edition:
- Cover image by Fintan Wall fintanwall.com
- Reading pictures: librarian Robin Stewart interviews picturebook creator, and three-time Caldecott Medal winner, David Wiesner
- P is for Poetry: a beloved collection of Irish poetry for children, Something Beginning with P, is sweet sixteen. Enter a revised, shorter version, P Is for Poetry. Catherine Ann Cullen, the inaugural Poet in Residence at Poetry Ireland, talks to Seamus Cashman and Emma Byrne, editor and designer of both books.
- Bainimis dínn an clóca dofheictheachta: ‘Bíodh leabhair Ghaeilge do pháistí le feiceáil.’ a deir Laureate na nÓg, Áine Ní Ghlinn
- How is Laureate na nÓg chosen?: an insight into the selection process
- We Are The Poets: Laureate na nÓg project manager Aingeala Flannery looks back over the laureateship of Sarah Crossan
- Children's Books Ireland resources
- The impact of COVID-19 on the wider books sector: Kim Harte explores the far-reaching impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the Irish children's book industry