Every Child A Reader
Every Child A Reader brings several Children's Books Ireland school book-gifting programmes together under one name. Drawing on the organisation's vision, we want every child in the selected schools to be reading more, enjoying reading more and reading more widely. We hope to enable positive, sustainable changes in these schools by providing brilliant books, engaging resources, and inspiring visits from Champions of Reading.
We aim to make reading part of the fabric of school life, and to create buzz and excitement for the whole school community. We want every student to feel part of their library's success, teachers to feel supported in making use of the library, and families to be encouraged to bring the culture of reading into their homes.
The project kicks off in each school with a library launch, with each school receiving a diverse collection of excellent titles, covering all ages and interests. We are keen for students to see themselves in the books on their shelves, and to have a window to other cultures and other worlds through reading. We also provide posters, bunting, and a bookmark and stickers for every child displaying Chris Judge's fabulous Every Child A Reader artwork, and every class is invited to complete fun reading challenges with the possibility of receiving even more books on completion of these challenges.
Each school is also assigned its very own a Champion of Reading – an author, illustrator or storyteller whose role is to encourage creativity and exploration of the new school library over a series of live workshops. There are even pre-recorded video workshops provided for every class in every school, delivered by different Champions of Reading. Teachers are supported in making the most of the new collection with useful resources such as resource packs, reading guides, and themed reading lists, expertly prepared by the Children's Books Ireland team. And there's even something for parents, with each child provided with a flyer to bring home to their families, providing tips on sharing a love of reading.
Sign up to our schools email newsletter in the footer at the bottom of this page to be notified when applications open for all of our book gifting and schools projects.
- A diverse collection of excellent modern titles, covering all ages, interests, genres, forms, themes and issues
- Live workshops (via Zoom if necessary) with a school-specific Champion of Reading – an author, illustrator or storyteller whose role is to encourage creativity and exploration of the new school library
- Posters and bunting for school displays, and stickers and a bookmark for every child
- Flyers for families with tips on fostering a love of reading
- Resource packs with activities and discussion points relating to books in your new collection
- Reading guides and themed reading lists on topics such as Mental Heath & Well-being, Diversity & Inclusion, Going Green, Rhyme & Verse, Graphic Novels, and Sport
- All primary and secondary schools in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland
- We are particularly interested in schools that are in need of books and support, and where we feel we can best make an impact
- We are also seeking schools that are already making efforts to develop a culture of reading, whatever their resources
The callout for applications takes place each Autumn.
Applications must be made by a member of school staff. This ensures we get a complete and accurate picture of the school's needs, status, and demographic. Please feel free to encourage your child's school to apply.